Skip to Main Content
- 929.1 MAN. The Unofficial Family Archivist: A Guide to Creating and Maintaing Family Papers, Photographs, and Memorabilia (Mannon 2011).
- 929.1 MAY. How to Archive Family Keepsakes: Learn How to Preserve Family Photos, Memorabilia & Genealogy Records (Levenick 2012).
- 929.1 TAY. Preserving Your Family Photographs: How to Care for Your Family Photographs - From Daguerreotypes to Digital Imaging (Taylor 2010).
- The Care and Handling of Family Papers, Photographs, and Essential Records) tutorials by State Archives of NC
Go to: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2w9jUBdiGKvTEyMA1XpOGKJtSXItDnVC
- Saving Your Treasures: A TV show featuring advice from professional archivists; you can watch it online.
Go to: http://www.savingtreasures.org
- Plastics Identification: For archival use.
Go to: http://www.morrisoncountyhistory.org/plasticsid.pdf
- Caring for Textiles
Go to: https://museum.gwu.edu/textile-care
- 929.1 FLE. The Organized Family Historian (Fleming 2004).
- 929.1 STU. Organizing & Preserving Your Heirloom Documents (Sturdevant 2002).
- Organize Your Records
Go to: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Organize_Your_Records
- Binder, Notebooks, or Folders?
Go to: https://www.thoughtco.com/organizing-your-genealogy-files-1420709
- The Organized Genealogist: A website with a blog and a very active facebook page. Find suggestions ranging from simple tips to descriptions of entire filing systems. Worth browsing.
Go to: http://organizedgenealogist.blogspot.com/
Passing Family History On
- 641.59 PHI. From the Family Kitchen: Discover Your Food Heritage and Preserve Favorite Recipes (Philibert-Ortega 2012).
- 745.5 WIN. Scrapbooking for Home Decor: How to Create Frames, Boxes, and Other Beautiful Items from Photographs and Family Memories (Windham 2012).
- 745.593 MAS. The Art of the Family Tree: Creative Family History Projects Using Paper Art, Fabric & Collage (Mason 2007).
- 907.2 HAR. The Oral History Workshop: Collect and Celebrate the Life Stories of Your Family and Friends (Hart & Samson 2009).
- 929.1 MOR. More than Memories: The Complete Guide for Preserving Your Family History (1998).
- 929.1 STR. Guide to Genealogical Writing : How to Write and Publish Your Family History (Stratton & Hoff 2014).
- Library Research Guides:
Cyndi's List is a huge collection of genealogy links set up by topic. See:
Archival Supply Sources:
- Archival Products, 1-800-526-5640 ext 1083 (no paper catalog available)
Go to: http://www.archival.com/?gclid-CMHLwuzG8LkCFQJqMgodWUsA9w
Go to: http://www.shopbrodart.com/archival-supplies/
- Gaylord, 1-800-448-6160
Go to: http://www.gaylord.com/
- Hollinger, 1-800-634-0491
Go to: http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/
- University Products, 1-800-628-1912
Go to: http://www.universityproducts.com/
Author: Gaston County Public Library
Title: Family History & Heirlooms: Preserving, Organizing, and Passing On Your Family Stories
Revised: 21 March 2022
©Copyright 2021, Gaston County Public Library. All Rights Reserved.