See TopoQuest map.
Official city website.
The city of Cherryville was incorporated on February 2, 1872 and again on February 19, 1881, but a settlement known as White Pine had been on the site since the 1850s on the post road from Lincolnton to Spartanburg. The name was changed to Cherryville in 1865, reputedly for a planting of cherry trees along the road. The Wilmington, Charlotte & Rutherford railroad built a line from Lincolnton in 1862, but Cherryville remained the end of the line for some time.
No name has been found for a mayor in 1872 although the incorporation act specifically calls for one. The incorporation act of 1881 named F. Z. Sides as mayor until an election could be held. James Carson Elliott became the first elected mayor in May of that year.
A cotton mill, the Cherryville Manufacturing Company, opened in 1891 to be followed by six other mills. In 1931 the Beam brothers started Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation; it grew to be a major national firm, closing only in 1995.
There are no census population figures for the town of Cherryville until 1900. Other sources give the population as around 68 in 1881 and the 1890 Branson's Directory says it was 145 then.
Cherryville Historical Resources in North Carolina Collection:
Land use survey and analysis, land development plan, Cherryville, North Carolina, 1967, 174 p., http://cdm16062.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p249901coll22/id/642647
Community facilities plan and public improvements program, Cherryville, North Carolina, 1967, 210 p., http://cdm16062.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p249901coll22/id/55290
Population and economy, Cherryville, North Carolina, 1966, 96 p., http://cdm16062.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p249901coll22/id/55782
Cherryville thoroughfare plan, 2003, 111 p., http://cdm16062.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p249901coll22/id/187285
©Copyright 2021, Gaston County Public Library. All Rights Reserved.