See TopoQuest map.
Official city City of Lowell on Facebook.
The first named point where Lowell now stands was Wright's Station on the Atlanta & Air Line, built in 1872, and named after a nearby farmer, William Wright. It served several mills as well as area farmers. Lowell was incorporated on February 10, 1879 and named after the northern textile town of Lowell, Massachusetts. Caleb J. Lineberger was made the first temporary mayor to serve until May 1 when his successor was to be elected. It was incorporated a second time on March 9, 1889 and, as done before, a temporary mayor, J. D. Ragan, was to hold office until May 1, election day. The General Assembly passed a bill with detailed amendments to the charter on February 13, 1909.
With the construction of four mills, the Lowell Cotton Mills in 1901, the Peerless Manufacturing Company in 1906, Lowell Cotton Mill No. 2 in 1907, and, eventually, the Art Cloth Mills in 1922, Lowell, suiting its name, became another textile town.
Lowell population figures are given as 35 in 1880 and "over 200" in 1890.
Lowell Historical Resources:
Available at the Lowell Community Center
505 W 1st St.
©Copyright 2021, Gaston County Public Library. All Rights Reserved.