The Sorosis Book Club initiated discussions among various book clubs and the public about establishing a library in Lincolnton, NC. (Dedication and Formal Opening of the Lincoln County Public Library, 306 West Main Street, Lincolnton, NC, April 4, 1976, 2:00 pm.- brochure) (Lincoln Times-News, March 31, 1976)
Cherryville Woman’s Club President, Mrs. D. R. Mauney, appointed Woman’s Club member Julia Hall to meet with the local school board concerning the establishment of a library in the Cherryville school. (The Cherryville Eagle, 5 May 1976)
The Library Committee, with the assistance of John L. Beal, Y.M.C.A. Trustee, and Harry Rutter, representative of Gastonia, restarted the movement for a Gastonia library building.
According to arrangement, the Cherryville Woman’s Club would provide the books for the Cherryville school library while the school board would provide the shelving and room. (The Cherryville Eagle, 5 May 1976)
The Sorosis Club held a “book tea” at the home of Mrs. Plato Miller and received more than one hundred books for the new Lincoln County Memorial Library. (North Carolina Library Bulletin, June 1925, Vol. 6, No. 3.)
Lincoln County Memorial Library opened to the public with an informal reception. Miss Frances Anne Fair was the first librarian. The Sorosis Club, a literary organization, is credited with starting the movement to create a Lincoln County library in honor of Lincoln County, N.C., World War I veterans.
The library occupied the ground-floor room of the Memorial Hall which was made available without charge by the Southern Stars Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy. The building had been completely renovated prior to the library use and the UDC Chapter donated almost five hundred volumes to the new library.
The Hall was formerly chartered in 1813 as the Pleasant Retreat Academy for females, before becoming the Mary Wood School in 1900. (Lincoln-Times News, March 31, 1976, p. 2B) The building became the UDC Memorial Hall in 1908 and was also used as a hospital during the Civil War. The Memorial Hall was used to house the library until 1965. (North Carolina Library Bulletin, June 1925, Vol. 6, No. 3.) (Dedication and Formal Opening of the Lincoln County Public Library, 306 West Main Street, Lincolnton, NC, April 4, 1976, 2:00 pm.- brochure) GGZ 2 June 1963, p. 5A, Bond Election is June 25 for new Lincoln Library.
The Belmont Woman’s Club collected and provided books for public use during certain periods in the week at their club building. The Woman’s Club Literature Department tended the Library. A librarian was appointed in 1933. (Belmont Banner? June 15, 1960)