Skip to main content
banner link link link link link link

Gaston County Public Library History

1940

          1940

  • The Cherryville Woman’s Club meeting place and the library moved to the Nuway Club House on West Main Street, after the original location on East First Street was purchased by the Cherryville Board of Education. The original location was then converted into the Cherryville High School Band practice room. (The Cherryville Eagle, 5 May 1976)

1941

          1941

  • N.C. General Assembly established State Aid to Public Libraries as outlined in the General Statutes, Chapter 153A – 261: “…it is the policy of the State of North Carolina to promote the establishment of public library services throughout the State…” Gaston County has consistently met State Aid maintenance of effort funding qualifications since 1941 without fail.
  • The Cherryville Woman’s Club purchased the home of the late John J. George. This home on South Elm Street was redecorated as the new club home. In addition to the library at this location, a Bookmobile Station was established by the Woman’s Club and operated by Club House Hostess, Mrs. Davis George. (The Cherryville Eagle, 5 May 1976)

1943

          21 November 1943

  • Highland branch of the Gaston County Public Library was opened for African-Americans, with Mrs. Robert M. Preer as the Librarian and Miss Wilhelmina Brown as Assistant Librarian. The Highland branch library was located within the Highland school with the purpose of providing free reading and reference facilities to all school personnel and people in the community all year round. The formal opening took place in the Highland school gymnasium and the public was invited to inspect the new library after the program. Both Gastonia City Council and the Gaston County Commissioners made annual appropriations for the purchase of books and the payment of salaries for the Highland Library. The library included both school and County books. (GGZ 22 November 1943, p. 9, “Negro News: Highland Library Opens”) (Highland Library 1st Annual Report, 1943-1944) (GGZ 16 August 1944, p. 10, “Circ. of Books by the County Library Tops 300,000 in Year Just Ended”)

1944

          1944

  • The Gaston County Public Library purchased a small film projector and started a film collection. (GGZ 16 August 1944, p. 10, “Circ. of Books by the County Library Tops 300,000 in Year Just Ended”)

 

          27 July 1944

  • The Gastonia Y.M.C.A. deeded the Gastonia library building and its property to the City of Gastonia. (GGZ 20 April 1969) (Gaston Co. Public Library 1905-1981)

1946

          1 July 1946

  • Charlotte “Lottie” Blake retired as Gastonia Librarian. Her former duties were absorbed into the Gaston County librarian position. Barbara Eaker Heafner then became Library Director over all services. (GGZ 22 July 1979)

          1946

  • The Cherryville Woman’s Club sold their club house in which the library was located. Later, the Blue Stocking Book Club took over the operation of the library and the bookmobile station. The Book Club moved the library into the Princess Beauty Shop on Main Street in the Houser Building for two and a half years. Part time librarian positions were filled by local high school girls and were paid by the Book Club. (The Cherryville Eagle, 5 May 1976)
  • Blue Stocking Book Club member, Mrs. D. R. Mauney, Jr., served as president of a new group called the Cherryville Junior Woman’s Club. Mrs. Mauney led the transfer of the Cherryville Library from the Blue Stocking Book Club to the Junior Woman’s Club. (The Cherryville Eagle, 5 May 1976)

1947

          1947

  • Lincoln, Catawba, and Iredell counties shared the services of a professionally trained librarian. (Dedication and Formal Opening of the Lincoln County Public Library, 306 West Main Street, Lincolnton, NC, April 4, 1976, 2:00 pm.- brochure)

1948

          1948

  • The Lincolnton PTA established the first Lincoln County Library Bookmobile service. Librarian, Mrs. Estelle Ross operated the bookmobile vehicle from 1948 to 1952. (Lincoln Times-News, March 31, 1976)

1949

          1949

  • Second bookmobile, a Chevrolet truck, was purchased to replace "Parnassus," the first bookmobile. The new bookmobile was purchased for $1300.

 

          19 September 1949

  • Gaston County Public Library began staying open nights until 9 pm. (GCHB Feb 1962)

┬ęCopyright 2015, Gaston County Public Library. All Rights Reserved.